Friday, May 24, 2013

5 things I learned this week (Part 8)

Did you know...

1. ...that the first  ever official national surfing and stand up paddle competition in India was held at Thiruvananthapuram?


2. ...that the tallest flag pole in India is located in Thiruvananthapuram?

Standing 206 feet tall, with a 4m diameter at the base, the home for the tallest flag pole hoisting our tricolor is located at the Kanakakkunnu Palace Grounds, Thiruvananthapuram. 


This is more than a year old news. I checked it out myself. It's standing there tall and proud. Well maybe not proud because it is without its flag. Apparently, the people who designed the flag forgot that the flag was to be mounted at a height of nearly 70m.

The constant wind had torn the main flag, and then its understudy met the same fate. The main flag came out to brave the winds once again, only to meet the same end as before. Now, the tallest flag pole in India waits for the coming of its specially designed flag, so that it can stand tall, and stand proud.

3. ...that the Sea Hawk aircraft you find displayed in the city was the part of the fleet used in the Indo-Pak war of 1971?

I drove past this piece of history yesterday. If it wasn't for my search for points to be put here, I wouldn't have remembered the following news I had read earlier.

http://www.yentha.com/news/view/4/A-Sea-Hawks-Tale

4. ...that the richest temple in the world is in Thiruvananthapuram?

Well, I do know that you know this. The temple at the heart of our town was making news for all the right reasons last year in this regard. You can read more about the same here at the following link.

5. ...that with a laid back lifestyle, a temperate climate, occasional rains, good people and adequate facilities, I feel Thiruvananthapuram is what I would be if I were a city?

And it's no wonder I dream of being here as a denizen again.

That's all for this week folks.

Have a Happy Weekend!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment